Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Black Women and Eating Disorders

Author's Note: This post is for Arynne :-)

Hallelujah! Someone has finally written a book about black women and eating disorders. Playwright Stephanie Covington Armstrong has written a memoir of her struggle with bulimia called Not all Black Girls Know How to Eat. I learned about this book via a post on The F Word blog.

Like millions of American women, I have struggled with disordered eating and body image issues. But being a black woman has meant that my struggles with said issues are (not surprisingly) often dismissed or ignored. Needless to say, I've been waiting for a book like this (and have actually thought about writing one myself). I may run out and buy it this weekend. And I'll definitely post a review once I've read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment