Sunday, January 17, 2010

Haiti Picture Post

More photos from my 2007 trip to Haiti. I've been looking through my journal entries from the week in Haiti. It's bittersweet and melancholy to read them. Here is an excerpt.
19 February 07
Today was amazing. It was our first actual work day. We helped lay the foundation for a chapel/community center at a birthing clinic called Maison de Naissance. We heaved buckets of concrete and water alongside people from the neighborhood. The sun baked us, but it felt great being there and participating. In the afternoon, we walked around Les Cayes - some of my traveling companions were on the hunt for good Haitian rum. I took about 1,000 pictures (at least that's what it felt like). I loved taking in the town and its people...Tomorrow is more work at Maison de Naissance, and hopefully, the opportunity to visit some of the mothers have had babies there. I keep thinking about how I'm going to tell everyone at home about what I've seen and experienced here, and I have yet to find the right words. Maybe I'll be able to once I'm back home.










1 comment:

  1. Your photo's are so pretty! (Breaks my heart to think of what it looks like now, can't imagine what it does to yours!)

    ReplyDelete