Thursday, May 7, 2009

Musical Obsession of the Moment: Jamiroquai

Every now and then, I obsess about a band, artist or album. In 1999/2000, it was British indie pop band James. For most of 2001, it was rock demi-gods, U2 and those cranky Oxfordians Radiohead. Not a day went by in 2002 and 2003 when I didn't play at least 5 songs by Massive Attack. In 2007, I was all about The Shins.

For the last two months, it's been all about Jamiroquai. You remember Jamiroquai, right? They of the freaky Virtual Insanity video. I bought the album from which that song was taken - Traveling Without Moving - in 1997. In 2001, I bought their fourth album, A Funk Odyssey. I loved both records and had genuine affection for the band. Until recently, though, they were just another band in my album collection. But then one night in February, I watched this clip of them performing a cover of Donna Summer's "Bad Girls" with Anastacia on the Brit awards.

WTF? I didn't know they were a kickass live band. Well, that did it. I became a raging fan girl. I bought all the Jamiroquai albums I didn't already own (Return of the Space Cowboy is a fantastic album. Where has it been all my life?) I've watched highlights of their concerts in Verona and at the Montreux Jazz Festival so many times I've lost count. I even fell for Jay Kay's goofy dance moves. I can't really explain it except to say that the music just kind of takes over my brain and body. I don't really have any control over it. Just riding this one out until the next musical obsession takes over.

No comments:

Post a Comment