Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Guilty Pleasures

Per Wikipedia:

A guilty pleasure is something one considers pleasurable despite feeling guilt for enjoying it. Often, the "guilt" involved is simply fear of others discovering one's lowbrow or otherwise embarrassing tastes, rather than actual moral guilt. Fashion, music, and food can be examples of guilty pleasures.
Recently, someone asked me to think of a "guilty pleasure" album I own. I had to give this subject a lot of thought because I gave up feeling guilty about what music I liked back in 11th grade. I'd spent too much time prior to that trying to fit my musical tastes into some arbitrary standard for what a young black woman should listen to.

In any event, after poring over my music collection, I came up with these titles:

Born to Do It by Craig David

Songs About Jane by Maroon 5

A Funk Odyssey by Jamiroquai (What? You thought I'd make a music-related list and not include Jamiroquai? Pshaw!)

Choosing one is proving difficult. Technically, the Craig David album is probably the most egregious one, especially since I saw the guy live. But Maroon 5's is more recent and therefore, fresher in people's minds, no? Funk Odyssey is probably the album I can write most about since I've been listening to it a lot recently; but will anybody outside hardcore fans know what the heck I'm talking about-lol. There's also the fact that I don't really feel guilty about owning any of these.

Ah well. Time to sleep on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment