Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Making a Joyful Noise








The above pic is from the Gay Pride Parade I went to with my church's peace and justice group (the t-shirt reads: "We are here to recruit you.") I had never been to a pride parade before, and I was struck by two things:

1. How much it felt like being in church: joyful singing (check) hands raised in thanksgiving (check).

2. The response we got from parade revelers as we handed out postcards about the church. People seemed surprised, and then excited to see us out there. Christians do not always have the best reptuation for inclusiveness, especially when it comes to sexual orientation. So, I was pleased when a young man stopped me and said, "Thank you for doing this!" That was the highlight of my day.

The other highlight: Flashing peace signs at the anti-gay protestors who yelled to us that we should be ashamed of ourselves. For only the second or third time in my life, I felt like I was really, truly doing God's work.

1 comment: